Spending the days and nights of the Christmas season with your sweetheart is the best way to experience those warm, fuzzy feelings that the holiday season has a way of creating.
Many cities are at their most romantic during the holiday season. Warm fires, mulled wine, snow-covered winter wonderlands, and streets lit up for Christmas can’t help but evoke feelings of romanticism.
For some couples, a getaway involves leaving the cold and travelling to the South for warm weather and beaches, while others want to spend Christmas in a winter wonderland, so the more snow, the better.
This year, go on a romantic winter getaway with your special someone to one of these idyllic Christmas locations! Read on to learn all about the best Christmas getaways for couples, as recommended by our TierOne Travel Consultants.
New York City
One of the most well-liked and romantic destinations in the USA for a winter vacation in New York City. There are so many amazing and romantic things to do in New York during Christmas time! A few of our recommendations:
- Admire the Christmas decorations in the storefront windows as you wander across Manhattan. Shop at holiday markets and find your loved one some locally homemade presents.
- Sip some decadent hot cocoa while you cross the Brooklyn Bridge and admire the views.
- Pop into the many museums and art galleries to warm up from the chilly weather.
- Try taking a hand-in-hand stroll in Central Park and go on a horse-drawn carriage ride, enjoying the bounty of holiday lights and Christmas decorations all throughout the park.
- Take the elevator to the top of the Empire State Building to enjoy the spectacular views of the city.
- And of course, go ice skating in front of the big Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center – a New York Christmas classic activity!
One of the best and most romantic times to experience New York City is during the holiday season!
Christmas in Boston is an amazing experience! There are plenty of potential options for a romantic date night in Boston regardless of the cold weather outside. If you’re fortunate enough, you might even experience a white Christmas! During this time in Boston, it gets colder at night so, make sure to bundle up.
Ways you can enjoy Christmas in Boston:
- Go searching for the many enormous Christmas trees can be found throughout the city in places like Copley Plaza, Boston Common, and Faneuil Hall.
- Watch the Christmas Light Show in Quincy Market.
- Go ice skating or sledding in Boston Common.
- Find a souvenir at a Christmas market, such as Snowport at the Seaport.
- Wander through the opulent hotels which are also decorated for the holiday season, especially the fantastic Boston Harbor Hotel.
- Warm up in one of the city’s museums, like The Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum and The Museum of Fine Arts Boston.
- See a show like The Nutcracker in the Theater District.
- Have a romantic dinner in an igloo! During this time of year, restaurants like the Lookout Rooftop and Woods Hill Pier 4 set up inventive, igloo-like tents for guests to dine in comfort outside. Even though they’re in high demand right now, making a reservation is totally worthwhile!
- Go stargazing at Boston University’s Coit Observatory and bundle up for a romantic yet informative night of stargazing.
Any day of the year is a good day to visit New Orleans, but the holidays make the city shine even more. Winter in New Orleans is a lovely and romantic time to visit with your partner. There is always something going on, from festivals and sporting events to Christmas lights and unique traditions.
Ways to experience New Orleans over Christmas:
- Every Christmas, bonfires are placed on the levee to direct Santa. This tradition dates back to the earliest Cajun settlers, one of them is the lighting of the bonfires along the Mississippi River on Christmas Eve.
- Savour some gumbo! When the weather is chilly, this New Orleans specialty is the ideal way to stay warm.
- At City Park, take a train ride together to see the 25 acres of seasonal displays and the 600-year-old live oak trees covered in Spanish moss and sparkling lights.
- In front of America’s oldest cathedral, Jackson Square has been the gathering place for Christmas carolers since 1946.
- The French Quarter is brimming with local small stores and boutiques that specialise in one-of-a-kind items a perfect place to find christmas gifts.
- The holiday light displays in the French Quarter are nothing short of magical! Find the best lights on Royal Street and Chartres Street.
Lake Tahoe, which is on the border of California and Nevada, is a great choice for active couples seeking a romantic destination to celebrate Christmas in the United States. One of Tahoe’s best seasons is winter, when skiers from throughout the USA fill the area, bringing the whole place to life.
But even if you don’t ski, there are a ton of fantastic things to do in Lake Tahoe during the winter:
- Stay at one of South Lake Tahoe’s adorable log cabins and lovely resorts. The resorts are lovely to go around after dark because they are all nicely lit up with Christmas and holiday lights.
- Take your significant other to the top of Heavenly Gondola for some of the best views of a snowy Lake Tahoe environment.
- Get outside! Go cross-country skiing or snowshoeing around the lake, or go on a winter hike.
- Enjoy a hot stone couples massage in a relaxing spa. It’s a blissful way to spend the day with your loved one!
- Strap on your skis and fly down mountainsides with your partner. Other great snow sports you can do in Lake Tahoe include ice skating, tubing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and dog sledding.
- Gondola rides are a great way to experience panoramic views with the comfort of your significant other.
Yellowstone National Park
If you’re looking for a once in a lifetime experience that’s adventurous and off the beaten path, you can’t top Christmas in Yellowstone National Park. This is an ideal place for a romantic getaway, especially in winter!
Yellowstone is one of the most popular national parks in the US and attracts well over a million people a year. Since the majority of those visitors come in the summer months, the best way to avoid the throngs of crowds is to visit Yellowstone in the winter.
Enjoy Yellowstone over the holidays with these suggestions:
- Go skating! Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and Old Faithful Snow Lodge offer outdoor ice rinks. They are free to use, and guests even receive complimentary skate rentals.
- For a romantic experience under the stars, take advantage of the after-dark fires at both Old Faithful and Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel.
- Go stargazing. Especially on clear, moonless nights when there is no air pollution or light to obstruct the view, the sky is filled with sparkling stars.
- Yellowstone has trails for every skill level and is a wonderful place for athletic couples looking for cross-country skiing.
- Yellowstone’s winters offer a special opportunity to explore the park without the crowds, spot wildlife, visit the well-known Old Faithful geyser, and take advantage of the best of nature with your significant other.
For an amazing and fun experience with your partner, why not head to some theme parks? During the holidays is a great time to visit them and feel like a kid again!
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios Hollywood celebrates the holidays in a huge way! It’s the most fantastic celebration of the year, complete with stunning décor and unforgettable performances. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Grinchmas serve as the main themes for Universal Studios Hollywood’s holiday celebrations. Along with these two main themes, the park is decorated for the holidays, from festive decorations to characters wearing Santa hats!
Ways to celebrate the Holiday in Universal Studios:
- Join the festivities as the Hogwarts castle in Universal Studios Hollywood transforms into a holiday wonderland and the streets of Hogsmeade are decorated with seasonal decorations.
- While the Frog Choir performs with holiday flair, sip on a hot Butterbeer and browse the wonderful seasonal goods.
- Join the Grinch for a Who-tacular celebration to take part in the music and entertainment of Grinchmas.
- Take part in a celebration of music, song, and light by witnessing the magnificent lighting of a unique Dr. Seuss-inspired tree.
Romantic things to do in Universal Studios Hollywood:
- Hop on thrilling rides, see your favourite characters, and buy that oversized doughnut to share with your sweetie. Enjoy having fun with your partner in a way you don’t get to do every day!
- Stay late at the park for a quieter and more romantic park experience, catch the Hogwarts Castle Show, share a butterbeer, then take a leisurely stroll in Harry Potter’s Wizarding World.
- Cuddle up on a tram and experience the fun and exciting Universal Studios Hollywood Studio tour! See props and sets from famous movies as well as a real working movie and tv studio. A truly great thing to experience with your loved one.
When you think about Disneyland, romance probably isn’t the first thing that comes to mind, but it is actually a great romantic getaway! There is a lot for you and your special someone to do and see, between Disneyland, California Adventure, and Downtown Disney. This is especially true during this time of year when you and your sweetheart can enjoy a Christmas parade, a holiday firework show, sweet treats, holiday overlays for classic rides, and of course, many Christmas lights around every corner.
Ways you can indulge in holiday cheer in Disneyland:
- Ride the “it’s a small world” and Haunted Mansion Holiday, which is only available during this time of the year.
- See beloved Disney characters and Santa Claus himself in the Christmas Parade!
- Watch the “Believe… in Holiday Magic” Fireworks Spectacular and enjoy a Californian snowfall.
- Embrace a holiday celebration of diverse cultural festivities with music, food and fun.
Romantic things to do in Disneyland:
- Request a waterfront table at the Blue Bayou for an amazing and delicious meal. As you eat, you can see boats pass by since this restaurant is located inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
- Go wine tasting and have a delicious Tuscan meal at Wine Country Trattoria in California Adventure park.
- For a great souvenir, find caricature artists to make a cute art piece of you and your sweetheart.
- Escape the crowds and enjoy quiet moments in parts of the park like Snow White’s Grotto, the Jolly Holiday Bakery, the shops of New Orleans Square and little nooks in Fantasyland around the castle.
It’s difficult to determine which London holiday attraction draws the most visitors. The streets of Mayfair, Sloan Square, Regent Street, Oxford Street, and other shopping districts are covered in shimmering light displays during the holiday season. You and your partner will find Christmas markets all over the city from Trafalgar Square to Tower Bridge with tons of things to see and do. London is a great romantic city to enjoy during the Christmas season!
Ways to enjoy London during the holidays:
- Take your other half to browse department store windows, which are transformed into enchanting holiday scenes each year. These exhibits are unveiled in the windows of Selfridges, Harrod’s, Liberty, and other stores.
- A large annual Christmas celebration called Winter Wonderland takes place in London’s Hyde Park from mid-November to early January. During this time, Hyde Park is transformed by countless shimmering lights, so grab a mug of hot cocoa, mulled wine, or a stein of beer and get ready to celebrate the season with your partner! There are plenty of activities available in London’s Winter Wonderland, including games, the city’s largest outdoor ice rink, a Ferris wheel and other amusement park rides.
- For music-loving couples, go to one of the many concerts and musical events, such as carol sing-alongs, which are held in St. Paul’s Cathedral and other churches and concert halls.
- If you want to explore outside of London, Stonehenge is an easy day trip! Watch the sunrise at Stonehenge on the Winter Solstice if you want a very different kind of December experience close to London. You will be able to approach and touch the stones directly during the winter solstice because access to Stonehenge is free on this day.
Learn more about traveling to London in our blog post: Best London Travel Guide | Top Tips For 2022 |
Vienna’s most picturesque squares are transformed into enchanted Christmas markets from mid-November through Christmas. An atmosphere of anticipation for Christmas is created by the smells of holiday baked goods and mulled wine. Marching bands dancing through the streets, softly falling snow, and sparkling lights are common occurrences.
This is the ideal Christmas vacation spot for a couple who enjoys music, bratwurst, history, and wine! Ways to enjoy it:
- Explore Vienna’s traditional Christmas markets! Experience the joy of Christmas with the beautiful streets of Vienna as your backdrop.
- Buy some Christmas presents. Seasonal treats and local vendors get shoppers in the holiday spirit with handcrafted, local goods.
- Don’t miss the “Vienna Magic of Advent”, which turns the City Hall Square into something out of a fairytale.
- Wander the historic Old Town of Vienna, a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. Here you can find upscale shops air galleries, restaurants and cafes (make sure to try Vienna Coffee).
- Music lovers will love attending a Christmas concert. You’ll find some of the most classic pieces being performed in beautiful concert venues all over Vienna.
This location made the cut for outdoor-loving couples. Even in the winter, when temperatures range from 3°C to -2°C, Reykjavik is a perfect hub for outdoor adventure!
Ways to enjoy Iceland during the holidays:
- See the Northern Lights! The greatest month to see the Northern Lights in Iceland is in December. This spectacular light show makes for a romantic evening spent outside.
- Couples will love strolling on some of Europe’s largest glaciers and snowmobiling the Golden Circle to see waterfalls, geysers and more.
- A visit to Iceland isn’t complete without a visit to the Blue Lagoon. After a long day of exploration, soaking in this outdoor spa is the perfect way to unwind.
- Explore ice caves. Don’t miss the chance to go ice-caving in the Vatnajökull and Kötlujökull glaciers. Join a tour to enter these caves and have an expert guide with you.
- Go skiing! Resorts in Iceland are lesser known than other ski destinations in Europe so they aren’t as crowded.
Learn more about traveling to Iceland in our blog post: How Many Days Do You Need in Iceland? 2022 Guide
Prague, Czech Republic
The capital city of the Czech Republic, Prague, is noted for its architectural landmarks, historic monuments, colourful buildings, and rich history. The lovely Christmas markets in Prague, provide a wide selection of goods and are the highlights of all the festivities taking place during the holiday season. The “City of Spires” has many activities available during the Christmas season.
Some of out recommendations:
- Foodies will love trying Czech cuisine. Traditional Czech food includes barbecued pork, blood sausages, Czech muffins, conkers, beer, mull, mead and more.
- Experience the Prague Christmas Market. Shop local goods, drink, eat and enjoy Christmas carols all throughout the market.
- See a show. You can see famous shows like Swan Lake, the Nutcracker at the National Theatre of Prague, Karlin Theatre, and Estates Theatre.
- Explore Prague Castle. During the winter there will be shorter lines for one of Prague’s top attractions. There are also 2 christmas markets that take place here.
- Escape the cold weather and explore some of Prague’s most unique museums like the Museum of Communism, Kafka Museum and the Strahov Library one of the most beautiful libraries in the world.
Learn more about traveling to the Czech Republic in our blog post: How Many Days Do You Need In Prague? Five Day Itinerary | 2022 Guide
ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO TRAVELING THE WORLD AGAIN?
We’ve got your back! When you’re ready to book your next Christmas getaway, contact one of our TierOne Travel agents. They will find the perfect place for your next vacation and will craft something incredible that is suited to your unique needs and will make sure your travel plans will be as stress-free as possible.
One call; endless experiences!
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Anonymous