You Don’t Have to Leave the House to Discover the Joys of Travel
During this time of social distancing and physical separation, you can still experience the joys of travel from the comfort of your home. No need to give up your travel dreams as they are just on hold for a bit.
For those who love to travel, having to stay home and practice self-isolation can be challenging. And although we know travel restrictions will eventually be lifted, it’s hard to cope with being unable to travel.
One way to lift your spirits and to keep your travel bug alive and well is to explore the many great online resources available for travellers. (Note: TierOne Travel does not endorse any of these sites for booking travel. When you’re ready, contact one of our experienced travel agents to plan your next vacation.)
The Joys of Travel with Netlfix
Sit back and relax in your favourite chair and enjoy some great travel-themed shows on Netflix. They will remind you of all the things you love about travelling and inspire you to keep your travel dreams alive.
- The Kindness Diaries: Leon Logothetis travels the world on his vintage motorbike and advocates kindness.
- Conan Without Borders: Conan O’Brien brings his clever and quirky sense of humour to the screen as he travels the world.
- Moving Art: Filmmaker Louie Schwartzberg highlights the beauty of our planet.
- Paul Hollywood’s Big Continental Road Trip: Celebrity Chef Paul Hollywood journeys to France, Italy and Germany.
- Street Food: A global cultural journey into street food.
- Night on Earth: Very cool series that sheds light on the world’s night creatures.
- Tales by Light: Photographers and filmmakers travel the world to capture unique images of people, places, creatures and cultures.
- Jack Whitehall: Travels with My Father: Comedian Jack Whitehall’s hilarious account of taking trips with his father.
- Dark Tourist: Journalist David Farrier veers off the path to visit the unusual and often macabre tourist spots around the world.
- Extreme Engagement: A clever series from the vantage point of a newly engaged couple who explore marriage customs in diverse cultures.
- Our Planet: Another incredible cinematic view of the planet Earth narrated by David Attenborough.
The Joys of Travel Through Bloggers, Instagram and Podcasts
During the COVID-19 pandemic, and even afterward, you can travel vicariously through the experience of others who love to journey far and wide. These are some of the best travel photographers, videographers and storytellers online today.
Travel Bloggers from Canada
- Travel Yourself: Cailin shares her travel stories from the road with photos and videos.
- Traveling Canucks: Nicole and Cameron live in Vancouver, but travel the globe for inspiration.
- The Planet D: Travel tips, city guides, stories and images from 115 countries on all seven continents.
- Backpack With Brock: Brock is originally a farm boy who has since backpacked through 74 countries.
- Jenn Explores: Jenn has a heart for exploring, an eye for photography and a passion for storytelling.
Instagram Travel Photographers
- @ExpertVagabond: Matt is an adventure traveler with a passion for photography.
- @ChelseaKauai: Chelsea lives in Kauai, Hawaii, but travels the world with her camera.
- @JennExplores: Jenn is a Calgary-based travel photographer and blogger who captures jaw-dropping images.
- @ChrisBurkard: Chris is one of the most famous surf and adventure photographers on Instagram.
- @ThePlanetD: Dave and Deb share their adventures around the planet through incredible photos.
- Zero to Travel: Travel advice and inspiration for newbies and nomads.
- Let’s Not Panic: Adam and Maggie travel from San Francisco to South America in a Toyota 4 Runner.
- Indie Travel Podcast: Aussies Craig and Linda travel the world and share their experiences.
- Travel in 10: Founded by Canadian David Brodie, this podcast gives you a 10-minute window on the world via 43 countries.
The Joys of Travel with Virtual Tours
Virtual tours are not new, but during this time of self-isolation, there are even more on the Internet to choose from. Just one click and you can be transported to another place for a little while. Below are a few virtual tours we have found for you to enjoy.
The Weather Network’s Virtual Beach Cam provides live footage of seven beaches located in Florida, Mexico, Canary Islands, California, Thailand, Hawaii, and the British Virgin Islands.
The website YouVisit.com has a travel section with 360 videos from some of the most amazing places on earth such as:
- Vatican City in Rome, Italy
- Machu Piccu, Peru
- Vietnam at a Glance
- The Louvre in Paris, France
- The British Museum in London, England
- Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, United States
Other amazing tours online include:
- Great Wall of China in Northern China
- Acropolis in Athens, Greece
- Giant’s Causeway on The North Coast, Northern Ireland
YouTube.com also has some great virtual tours. Check out this scenic train ride from Switzerland to The Brienz Rothorn Bahn along the Cog Railway. Or take a virtual walk through the world’s largest rainforest canopy in the amazon. Here’s another walking tour, but this one will take you through The Colosseum in Rome. How cool is that?
The Joys of Travel with Books and Magazines
Books Available on Amazon
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: An all-time classic about a shepherd who follows his dream to travel.
- Havana: A Subtropical Delirium by Mark Kurlansky: An exploration of Cuba, particularly Havana.
- From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty: A travelogue from the viewpoint of a mortician who learns about death rituals in America, Spain and Japan
- A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit: A series of stories of women who journey to find themselves.
- Border: A Journey to the Edge of Europe by Kapka Kassabova: A memoir of a woman who goes back to explore the war-torn areas of Bulgaria, Turkey and Greece.
Magazines Available Online
- Ensemble Vacations Magazine: A inspirational travel and lifestyle magazine created by the Ensemble Travel Group. Contact your TierOne Travel agent for a copy.
- Caribbean Living: Here you will find everything you need to know about the Caribbean.
- Cruise Travel: One of the top worldwide cruise vacation magazines.
- National Geographic and Canadian Geographic Travel: World-renowned photos and articles to inspire and educate.
- Wanderlust: The UK’s leading independent travel magazine.
Get Peace of Mind with Travel Insurance
Before you travel, be sure you have enough coverage. Travel insurance will provide you with peace of mind on your vacation. Find out more about Manulife travel insurance here.
When you’re ready to explore your future travel options and make your dreams come true, contact one of our TierOne Travel agents today! They have extensive experience in life-changing travel and will be able to craft something incredible that is suited to your unique needs. One call; endless experiences!
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Anonymous