There’s no doubt about it that Adventure Travel is an exciting way to experience the world, especially post-pandemic when many of us are wanting to get as much out of each and every future vacation as possible.
But you might be asking yourself, what exactly is adventure travel, and what are my options when it comes to the types of activities I can do?
Below you’ll find a handful of what we at TierOne Travel believe to be the most bucket-list-worthy trips in the realm of adventure travel. Once you’re ready to chat more about your future Adventure Travel getaway, contact your TierOne Travel Consultant and we can make sure you end up with the perfect life-changing, adrenaline-pumping experience for you!
Everest Base Camp, Nepal
Trekking to Everest Base Camp is a bucket list item for a lot of people, and for great reason. There’s no time like now to book the trek and start training for this adventure of a lifetime. Aside from breathtaking scenery, travelers can experience unique local culture by visiting monasteries and admiring Buddhist stupas. The days trekking are filled with passing colorful prayer flags and traversing metal bridges strung across deep canyons. Evenings reward you with delicious Nepali food, chai, and bonding with fellow trekkers and local guides at a teahouse. The 14-day trek is so worth it if you’re looking for a challenge and some memorable stories that will stay with you forever.
- There is no road between Kathmandu and Lukla where the trek to Everest Base Camp begins, so a short plane ride brings you to the start of the trail.
- Trek to Kala Patthar: at 5,545m the reward is bucket-list views of Mount Everest (which can’t actually be seen from Base Camp).
- Explore the city of Kathmandu and see the Old City temples and beautiful Buddhist architecture.
See the highest glacier on the planet! Khumbu Glacier is a 17km river of ice that is constantly eroding Mount Everest. Walk on the trail beside the glacier on the way to Base Camp.
- Namche Bazaar is a busy trading center and one of the first stops on the Everest Base Camp trail. Its Sherpa Museum teaches travelers about the extraordinary role the local people have played in summiting Everest.
Trek to Machu Picchu, Peru
The Inca Trail is the most famous hike in South America and is hiked by thousands every year! Wind your way up, down, and around mountains on the ancient trail laid by the Incas from the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu. Experience views of snowy mountain peaks, distant rivers, ancient ruins, and cloud forests during a four-day trek. The best part of your journey might be when you finally step through the Sun Gate and see the beautiful, forgotten city of Machu Picchu for the first time.
- Watch the sun set behind the dramatic Andean peaks at Wayllabamba, a stunning spot of Andean scenery, with centuries-old Incan terraces.
- Hike through The Valley of Llulluchapampa. As you ascend into the valley you’ll be rewarded with amazing views of snow-capped cliffs.
- Explore the city of Cuzco before your trek. This UNESCO World Heritage Site has amazing colonial architecture and it’s a great place to adjust to the altitude before setting off to explore the Andes.
- Dead Woman’s Pass (Warmiwanusqa) is the highest and hardest point along the Inca Trail. A strenuous 2.5-hour climb takes hikers up to the 4,200m pass.
- Aguas Calientes is a town close to Machu Picchuu and is a tourist hub. Attractions include a botanical garden, thermal baths, markets, and Putucusi Peak, which has incredible views of Machu Picchu.
Climb Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
Kilimanjaro is one of travel’s greatest trekking summits! This mountain rises out of the African plains, and you can hike through lush rainforests and alpine deserts, across glaciers by day, and sleep under the stars by night.
The mountain proves that snow can sit practically on the equator. Some say that the Kilimanjaro snow might be gone in just a few decades, which makes it an even better reason to tackle Kili soon!
Tanzania’s Mount Kilimanjaro deserves to be on every travel bucket list. Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is basically a tour of the world’s climatic zones, a very unique journey!
- Enter Kilimanjaro National Park and see lush forests inhabited by elephants, primates, buffalo, and more.
- Climb higher and experience a moorland zone, at around 3,200 meters, a strange primate atmosphere filled with giant heather and studded with giant lobelias.
- Walk through a surreal alpine desert that struggles to support any life at all, with intense weather conditions and loose sand.
- The final push to the summit is a land of ice and snow, completely different from the tropical forests you left behind all those days ago.
Colder, drier, and windier than anywhere else on the planet, Antarctica is so extreme and remote that it feels otherworldly. Sail there on world-class ships on an expedition full of learning and amazing experiences, like climbing Antarctic peaks and kayaking through the icy waters.
Experience the beautiful landscapes of white and blues and see massive glaciers, jagged mountains, huge icebergs, and plains of ice that stretch on forever.
Antarctica may appear barren, but wildlife thrives here! From penguins and whales to seals and a multitude of seabirds such as albatrosses, you’ll see plenty of unique wildlife.
An Antarctic cruise is a fantastic and memorable item to include on your bucket list.
See huge icebergs up close and personal
Cruise through ice-filled Fjords
Enter the world of penguins and see 5 different species in Antarctica, such as Emperors, Adelie, Chinstrap, Macaroni, and Southern Rockhopper
Keep your eyes peeled for blue whales and humpback whales
- Go sea-kayaking on the cold and calm water
Visit the Galapagos Islands
The Galapagos Islands are one of the most awe-inspiring destinations on the planet! Roughly 600 miles off the coast of Ecuador, the Galapagos islands are intense landscapes of volcanic rock and sandy beaches overflowing with wildlife. Enjoy the journey on luxurious ships that will take you to remote points of interest, while traveling in comfort and with high-quality service.
Wildlife viewing here is a must, as many of the creatures found on the islands you won’t be able to see anywhere else in the world. Observe giant Galápagos tortoises, blue-footed boobies, Galápagos land iguanas, Marine iguanas, Galapagos penguins, white-tipped reef sharks, Galápagos sea lions and more.
There’s more to the islands than just viewing wildlife, such as exploring the underground world of the islands via on-site lava tube caves, kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, and diving.
- Put on your snorkel and swim with sea turtles
- Visit the Charles Darwin Research Station on Santa Cruz Island and learn about the conservation efforts on the islands
- Walk with the iconic giant tortoises – you won’t quite believe how big these animals are until you see them in real life
- See dancing blue-footed boobies on North Seymour Island
- Watch where you step on Fernandina Island. Marine iguanas like to bask on the hot black rocks and they’re literally everywhere!
Which adventure is right for you?
We can’t wait to help you PLAN YOUR once-in-a-lifetime adventure!
When you’re ready to learn more about booking one of these life-changing itineraries, contact one of our TierOne Travel agents. They have extensive experience in life-changing travel experiences and will be able to craft something incredible that is suited to your unique needs.
One call; endless experiences!
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Anonymous